Thursday 25 April 2013

What to wear as a wedding photographer

A big question I had before photographing my first wedding, was 'What do I wear". I know this may sound like a silly thing to be worrying about but I had no idea what wedding photographers wore and I didn't want to be under-dressed and look sloppy and too casual, but I also didnt want to look too smart as if I was one of the quests. So I have devised a little list for you of some key points I like to stick to and what I have found out through research from other photographers. This style is practical and makes me feel compfortable that I look like i'm in the right place and to be respected as a photographer.


wedding photography


- My main point would be to stick with Navy, blue, grey and Black. Even though black is practical on a photographic level, too much of it can be a bit depressing for a wedding so dont be afriad to add a bt of colour.
- A blazer or smart jacket is a must. As you will be indoors, then outside, then indoors again.... It can get pretty chilly but you don't want a big bulky coat.
- Any plain, smart top will do aslong as it is in a neutral colour. Obviously you dont want to be in a bright pink, low-cut number, when you are stood next to the happy couple at the front of a church. 
- I prefer to wear smart trousers instead of dresses or skirts as I want to be able to kneel on the floor, then stand on a chair, without the worry of flashing my bum to the quests.
- Flat shoes are also very inportant. Heels might look great but I promise you will regret it. I wear plain black pumps as they are smart but also really comfy. 
- As for jewellery, I dont leave the house without it so I'm not going to start for weddings. I find a few pearls is enough to make your otherwise plain outfit look set for the special occassion while staying classy and professional.
- Most importantly.... don't try too hard. The bride will not like it if you outshine her on her big day. Therefore, simple hair and make-up is needed. 

I hope these tips will help you to portray yourself in the best way possible as you dont know how many potential future clients are attending the wedding. I'm sorry I dont have any advice for male photographers but I simply don't know what they should wear. I suppose some of the tips apply to them too, such as colours and sensible shoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment